Faculty: Brad Eden
Christopher Center, Room 410
Brad.Eden (at) valpo.edu
Bradford Lee Eden is Dean of Library Services at Valparaiso University. Previous positions include Associate University Librarian for Technical Services and Scholarly Communication at the University of California, Santa Barbara; Head, Web and Digitization Services, and Head, Bibliographic and Metadata Services for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries. He is editor of Digital Library Perspectives and the Journal of Tolkien Research, an open-access peer-reviewed journal. He is on the editorial boards of Library Hi Tech, Advances in Library Administration and Organization, and The Journal of Film Music. He has a masters and Ph.D. degrees in musicology, as well as an MS in library science. He publishes in the areas of metadata, librarianship, medieval music and liturgy, and J.R.R. Tolkien. His two books Innovative Redesign and Reorganization of Library Technical Services: Paths for the Future and Case Studies (Libraries Unlimited, 2004) and More Innovative Redesign and Reorganization of Library Technical Services (Libraries Unlimited, 2009) are used and cited extensively in the field. His recent books include Middle-earth Minstrel: Essays on Music in Tolkien (McFarland, 2010); The Associate University Librarian Handbook: A Resource Guide (Scarecrow Press, 2012); Leadership in Academic Libraries: Connecting Theory to Practice (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014); The Hobbit and Tolkien's Mythology: Essays on Revisions and Influences (McFarland, 2014); and a ten-volume series titled Creating the 21 st -Century Academic Library (Rowman & Littlefield, 2015- 16).
University of North Texas,
M.S. in Library Science
University of Kansas, Ph.D., musicology
Indiana State University, M.A., musicology
Carthage College, B.A., double major - religion and music, minor - German
- Editor -- Envisioning our preferred future: new services, jobs, and directions (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 8). Rowman & Littlefield, 2016
- Editor -- Marketing and outreach for the academic library: new approaches and initiatives (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 7). Rowman & Littlefield, 2016
- Miracles: An encyclopedia of people, places, and supernatural events from antiquity to the present (ABC-CLIO, 2016). Entries on Miracles in Ireland, Thomas of Cantilupe.
- "Michael H.R. Tolkien (1920-84): a research travelogue" Journal of Tolkien Research (v. 2, 2016). Available at http://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolkienresearch/vol2/iss1/7
- "Iterative strategic planning: lessons learned in the trenches." So you want to be an academic library director: leadership lessons and critical reflections (ALA Editions, 2016).
- "Data visualization activities at a small, private Midwest university." Data visualization: a guide to virtual storytelling for librarians (Rowman & Littlefield, 2016).
- "Tolkien and Buddhist influences: thoughts and perspectives." Cosmos and Logos Journal (Summer 2015).
- Editor -- Rethinking technical services: new frameworks, new skill sets, new tool, new roles (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 6). Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Editor -- Partnerships and new roles in 21 st -century academic libraries: collaborating, embedding, and cross-training for the future (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 5). Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Editor -- Creating research infrastructures in 21 st -century academic libraries: conceiving, funding, and building new facilities and staff (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 4). Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Editor -- Cutting-edge research in developing the library of the future: new paths for building future services (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 3). Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Editor -- Enhancing teaching and learning in the 21 st -century academic library: successful innovations that make a difference (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 2). Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Editor -- Leading the 21 st -century academic library: successful strategies for envisioning and realizing preferred futures (Creating the 21 st -century academic library ; 1). Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
American Library Association
-- Association of College and Research Libraries Division
-- Library and Information Technology Association Division
-- Association for Library Collections and Technical Services Division