Faculty: Madeline Sheldon
Assistant Professor of Library Services
Christopher Center, Room 262
Madeline.Sheldon (at) valpo.edu
Before accepting her position at Valparaiso University, Prof. Sheldon was the Adult Services Intern at Brighton District Library in Michigan, where she performed reference services and conducted a user experience assessment of their website. She enjoys connecting people with information and has a fondness for historical or culturally significant material often found in archives and/or special collections. Some of her past work includes assisting with The Voinovich Collections project at Ohio University, digitizing the personal papers of Senator George V. Voinovich. She also spent a summer at the Library of Congress researching digital preservation policy creation, blogging on The Signal, and producing a short video, Snow Byte & the Seven Formats: A Digital Preservation Fairy Tale.
- Poster: Analysis of Current Digital Preservation Policies: Archives, Libraries, and Museums, Aligning National Approaches to Digital Preservation Conference, November 2013.
- Viewshare: Visualizing Digital Humanities, QuasiCon 2014 Conference, February 2014.
- Failcamp: Archivists' Toolkit Edition, (with Molly Malcolm), QuasiCon 2014 Conference, February 2014.
- American Library Association
- Special Libraries Association
- Society of American Archivists
University of Michigan School of Information, M.S.I., library and information science
Southern Methodist University, B.A., literature
Areas of research interest
- Digital stewardship (preservation)
- Archives/special collections
- Digital libraries
- Multicultural outreach
Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, Prof. Sheldon loves (almost) all things related to the Lone Star State and does her best to attend the annual State Fair of Texas every year. She considers herself an avid cinephile, especially horror films, and enjoys hearing recommendations from fellow film enthusiasts. In her free time, she enjoys trying new restaurants, listening to music, and visiting museums with her partner, Joe. They recently adopted a female kitten, Edward, who is quickly adapting to her new environment and loving Valparaiso!