Affiliated Borrowers Lending Policy
Eligibility: People who are not Valparaiso University students, faculty, or staff may apply for a Valpo library card. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must also sign the application. Proof of address is required. By applying, you agree to the borrowing and use privileges set forth in this policy as an “Affiliated Borrower.”
- $20/year for a family card (one or two parents and minor children)
- $15/year for an individual card
- $2/year for Valpo alumni
- No charge to spouses and minor children of current Valpo faculty and staff; the Valpo courtesy card must be presented at the time of application.
- No charge to students, faculty and staff from other Indiana universities who present an ALI Borrower's card.
Identification for Borrowing: As an Affiliated borrower, you must present your Valpo library card to check out materials. If you are an ALI Borrower, you must present your ALI card along with an ID displaying your current address.
Loan Periods and Lending Limits:
- Books and government documents: 28 days, or the expiration date of your card, whichever comes first.
- LPs, CDs, and circulating audio tapes: 14 days
- DVDs, videos, rare books, maps, journals, reference, and reserve materials: these items are not available for loan to Affiliated Borrowers but you may use them while in the library.
- A maximum of 20 items may be checked out at once.
- Books may be returned to the overnight book drops when the Christopher Center is closed.
- LPs, CDs, and audio tapes should be returned to the Media Services Desk (1st floor) or should be given to the Circulation Desk staff.
Renewals: One remote electronic renewal through the library catalog is allowed for items that are not overdue. For all other renewal requests, you must present items at the Circulation Desk. We are unable to accept renewal requests by email, telephone, or U.S. mail.
Recalls: Items may be recalled at any time if needed by Valpo students, faculty or staff. If an item is recalled, you will receive a notice indicating a new due date, usually seven days after the date of the notice. If a second notice is required, you will be fined $1/day per recalled item until that item is returned.
Lost Items: After the third overdue notice, the library will assume that an item is lost and bill you for the replacement cost plus a $15 service charge. Borrowing privileges are blocked for all Affiliated Borrowers who fail to return library materials or to pay charges.
Service Limitations: Certain Valparaiso University computer services, interlibrary loans, and recall privileges are not available for Affiliated Borrowers.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, or any other library matter, please contact a Circulation Manager at (219) 464-5366 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.