Valparaiso University Students, Faculty and Staff Who Wish to Borrow from an ALI Library
- You must be currently employed or enrolled at Valparaiso University and be in good standing with the library to be eligible for ALI borrowing privileges.
- A complete list of ALI libraries is available here.
- Apply to the Christopher Center Circulation desk (2nd floor) at least one business day before your visit to another library. We will notify you when your ALI Borrowers Card is ready for pickup.
- Students: The expiration date on your ALI card will be the last day of classes for the current semester. Faculty and staff: The expiration date on your card will be same as the expiration date on your employment contract or June 30 of the current year, whichever comes first.
- Make sure you understand and accept the ALI Borrowers' Responsibilities (see below).
- If you wish to return your borrowed items via the interlibrary loan courier service, you must return the item directly to the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Manager (M-F 8:30-4:30, x5363) and explain that it is an ALI return. You will be responsible for any fees for items returned this way. We cannot guarantee the safe return of ALI borrowed items left at the Circulation Desk or in the ILL Office without the ILL Manager present.
Students, Faculty and Staff From Participating ALI Institutions Who Wish to Borrow from Valparaiso University
- Apply at your home campus library for your ALI card.
- Before you visit, check the Christopher Center home page for hours, location, and parking information. Read our Affiliated Borrowers Policy to find out what you can borrow and for how long. Search the library catalog to make sure that what you wish to borrow is in our circulating collection and not already checked out. Even if an item is not checked out, there is no guarantee it will be available when you arrive.
- Present your ALI card and an ID with your current address to the Christopher Center Circulation Desk (2nd floor) at least one hour before closing. The Circulation Manager will enter your record into our local system and issue you a Valparaiso University Borrowers Card with our campus barcode.
- Present your Valparaiso University Borrowers Card at the Circulation Desk along with the materials you wish to borrow.
ALI Borrowers’ Responsibilities
- Present the ALI Borrowers Card and other ID requested by the lending library for each visit.
- Observe the rules and regulations of the lending library.
- Return materials safely and in a timely manner. Return of materials via the home library interlibrary loan service may be possible, but borrowers are responsible for any charges if they occur.
- Pay all fees, fines and other financial obligations incurred.
- Return recalled materials immediately in person or by priority or express mail.
- Supply accurate mailing address and keep it current.