While we appreciate the intentions behind donations of books and other materials, we will accept only materials that fit one or more of the five categories below:
- Academic materials in good condition published in the last five years. Note: we do not accept abridged editions, uncorrected proofs, or review copies labeled as such.
- Lutheran-related materials
- Materials written by Valparaiso University faculty, staff, students or alumni
- Materials published by Valparaiso University
- Hymnals of any religious denomination
Donations of print periodicals should be discussed with Trisha Mileham.
All materials donated to the library become the property of Valparaiso University. Items retained will be added through the normal acquisitions workflow. Items not added to the collection may be sold, donated to another library or discarded. Library staff will not report to donors which volumes have been retained and which have not, nor will we return to donors items that are not retained.
The library, as the recipient, cannot appraise gifts for tax purposes according to U.S. tax regulations. It is the responsibility of the donor to keep appropriate records of items donated. Completing our donation form and retaining a copy of this will provide you with this record. For additional information, see http://www.irs.gov.
We retain the right to automatically discard without review unsolicited gifts or donations that do not adhere to the following procedures. To donate materials:
- Contact Jessica Segally, Library Administrative Assistant, before bringing any materials to the Library. She will advise you on when and where to deliver the gift.
- Complete the donation form. Include a printed copy of the form with the donation.
Policy updated: August 9, 2023