The information resources of the Christopher Center for Library; whether electronic, print, or non-print; are available to all VU students, faculty, and staff. Access to library resources will not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background, or views. Likewise, library services, including reference assistance, instruction, and borrowing privileges, are also available to all VU-affiliated users.
In order for the library to properly fulfill its mission and to provide, as well as protect, information resources and services, these guidelines defining the rights and responsibilities of all library users have been established. For guidelines on the use of Internet resources in the library, consult the VU Acceptable Use Policy.
All Christopher Center Library users are entitled to:
- Access to library resources and services library materials that are properly organized and in good physical condition
- Courteous, informed assistance from all library staff
- A research and study environment
- A clean, functioning facility
All Christopher Center Library users have the obligation to:
Support accessibility of library resources by:
- Properly checking out materials
- Returning materials by the due date
- Responding promptly to recall requests
- Observing posted copyright regulations
Make the best use of the library by:
- Participating in orientation and instruction sessions offered in individual courses.
- Gaining and applying skills in information seeking to library research projects.
- Devoting sufficient time to the information gathering portion of library research projects.
- Interacting courteously with other users and library staff.
- Maintaining an environment conducive to research and study.
- Maintaining a clean, pest-free facility by refraining from leaving food and beverage debris in the library. Tobacco use in not permitted anywhere on campus.
- Preserving a functioning facility by putting equipment and furnishings to their proper use.
- Preserving information resources by keeping them clean, unmarked, and intact.
Other policies include:
- The library will require valid identification for access to certain materials and services.
- All Library users are expected to conduct themselves in a manner which
supports these rights for themselves and others. Users who do not comply
with these guidelines may be asked to leave the building.
The Christopher Center Library operates according to the following building regulations to assure the safety and security of all library users.
- Tobacco use is prohibited.
- Excessive noise or other disruptive behavior that precludes an atmosphere for research and study is not permitted, including cell phone use.
- Marking in, or damage to, library resources is prohibited.
- Patrons are required to wear appropriate clothing while using the Christopher Center, including shirts and shoes.
- Small children must be under the immediate supervision of an adult.
- Public displays of affection are not permitted.
- Animals are not allowed in the building, with the exception of service animals assisting persons with disabilities.
- Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, or skates are not permitted in the building or on the library terrace, stairs, or ramp.
- Earphone-equipped radios/recorders are allowed as long as the volume is kept at a level that will not disturb others.
- Soliciting, petitioning, selling, or displaying items for sale is prohibited. Information from student groups and other external bodies is not allowed in the library without permission of the Dean of the Library.
- No movement of, or alteration to, library furnishings and fixtures is allowed, other than local movement of chairs and tables.
- White boards and easels should not be used to obstruct views into rooms or to create completely enclosed spaces.
- Library users must be prepared to exit the building promptly when the facility is cleared by library staff.
- All library users must enter and leave the building by the Main (North- 2nd floor) or East (1st floor) entrances/exits only, other than in a public emergency. The Christopher Center Library has installed theft detection equipment but is still authorized to perform a manual exit inspection for library materials if advisable.
- During emergency evacuation of the building, Library users must follow the directions of the library staff.
- Individual units within the Christopher Center Library may have established more specific policies for the use of specialized collections.